Part of the “How To Outlook” series
At Scrubly, we get a lot of questions around how to safely manage Outlook data files. Below are the easy steps you can follow to backup your Outlook files into PST format. Exporting your Outlook contacts in PST format allows you to capture all Outlook folders into a single backup file and then save it as a backup or transfer to another computer.
Follow These Steps to Backup Outlook 2010 to a PST file:
- Open Outlook 2010 and click the File tab
- Click Options
- Click Advanced
- Under Export, click Export
- In the Import and Export Wizard, click Export to a file, and then click Next
- Under Create a file of type, select Outlook Data File (.pst), and then click Next.
- Select the account, which is displayed as a top-level folder, you want to export. Selecting the account enables exporting of all mail, calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes if available for that account.
Note: Only information for one account can be exported at a time. Make sure that the Include subfolders check box is selected.
- Click Next.
- Click Browse to select where you want to save the Outlook Data File (.pst) and to enter a file name. Click OK to continue.
Note: If you have previously exported and saved a PST, the previous folder location and file name appear. Make sure that you change the file name if you want to create a new backup file instead of using the existing file.
- If you are exporting to an existing Outlook Data File (.pst), under Options, specify what to do when exporting items that already exist in the file.
- Click Finish.
Password Protect your PST Backup
If you are creating a new Outlook Data File (.pst), you can add an optional password. When the Create Outlook Data File box appears, enter the password in the Password and Verify Password boxes, and then click OK. In the Outlook Data File Password dialog box, enter the password, and then click OK.
If you are exporting to an existing Outlook Data File (.pst) that is password protected, in the Outlook Data File Password dialog box, enter the password, and then click OK.
Incoming search terms:
- backup outlook 2010
- how to backup outlook 2010
- outlook 2010 backup
- backup outlook 2010 contacts
- how to backup outlook 2010 contacts
- backing up outlook 2010
- how to back up outlook 2010
- outlook backup 2010
- how to backup outlook 2010 emails and contacts
- backup contacts in outlook 2010